Friday, February 27, 2009

The Meaning of Friendship

I've been thinking a lot lot lately about the true meaning of friendship.
Does being a good friend mean you have to bend over backwards for someone and do everything that they ask you to do,  or can you just slide by with just listening to them whenever they need a shoulder to cry on.

I have had man friendships in the past and I only still talk to a select few and thats because I can actually relate to them. All of the others pretended that they cared, and to pretended to actually want to help out when in the end, all they were really doing was keeping tabs on what good they did for you. 

Am I supposed to keep tabs on everything good I did for you, so that whenever we argue or I need something from you, I can throw it in your face what I did. I don't think thats fair and I have never done anything like that. But, maybe I should start because that seems to be the in thing now-a-days. 

Some of my friends usually complain about how I am or how they think I act around my family, but in the end if they are complaining about me then they really aren't as close to me as I thought they were. 

In the end all I can do is be myself and if none of my friends like it then there is really no need for us to be friends. Because to me friendship is always caring about that person no matter what, not doing "nice" things just so you can get something in return, and not complaining about that person to your family all the time making them out to be the worst person in the world.

4 comments:

  1. Being a good friend doesn’t mean that you have to bend over backwards for someone, but, friendship is a two way street, giving and receiving. It's not just receiving nor just giving.

    Friendship is a gift that two people give to each other. True friends form a special connection that will weather ANY storm. True friends understand BEING HUMAN, and, any being human have many mistakes. True friends are there even when they are not expected to be present. When you are in a friendship relationship, you seek to do all you can, to be a good friend. Friendship relationship is not just about receiving but is also about giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being a good friend means accepting the fact that I act weird around my family. On the other side of that, it means that you can make fun of me for it later. I mean, come on, don't we all act a little different around our families? And the great thing about real friends is that although they can make fun of you, nobody else should dare to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, friendship should not be about what you did or did not do for somebody. Friendship should be about trust, it should be an un-breakable bond between people. Sure it is nice to have a shoulder to cry on, but, I do not feel that is the most important aspect to being a friend. Friendship to me is very hard to find, most if not all people in your life will be acquaintances, not friends. If you do find a good friend, don't let go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. True friends are hard to find. Friendship is not about bending over backwards for someone it is about being there when that person needs you but not to an extent that it puts you in a bad situtation. I think that in life there are many people who will be your friend for awhile and then you will grow in different directions and that is okay. You will find good friends and bad friends but you have the ability to decide for yourself what kind of friend you need. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete